The WordPress search function is notoriously inaccurate. Click on the bold word in each title to read the article that is of interest to you.
Orville Whitford Calkins
Orville Whitford Calkins was an early homesteader west of Florida City, then known as Detroit. His daughter, Mary Calkins Heinlein, was insturmental in founding the Redland Fruit and Spice Park.
Rev. Joseph M. Cormack
Rev. Joseph M. Cormack was the Methodist minister in the Florida City area – his colleague was Rev. Joseph A. Kahl in Homestead. Cormack was a minister as well as a businessman in early Florida City and has been almost completely forgotten.
Bryan Hastic Edwards
Bryan H. Edwards was a real estate salesman and an early mayor of Florida City. Bryan H. Edwards Park, now a site for semi-permanent campers, was named after him. His daughter, Jacqueline, was the wife of Henry Brooker, Jr.
John & Florence Hunt
John Hunt was not depicted well in Jean Taylor’s book, Villages of South Dade. In this article, I’ve tried to present a more balanced portrait of he and his wife, who was an early nurse in Detroit/Florida City and later opened a hospital in Homestead – the Hunt Hospital.
An Overview of Florida City History
No one has ever written a history of Florida City. This is an attempt to provide an overview but there is much more that needs to be done to correct the myths and inaccuracies that have become accepted wisdom about its history.
William C. Norwood
William C. Norwood was an early businessman in Detroit/Florida City who was related to the Feaster family. He tragically died quite young and is buried in the Titusville area.
James M. Powers
James M. Powers was the secretary-treasurer of the Miami Land & Development Co., the promoters of Detroit.
Elbert H. Ring
Elbert H. Ring came to Detroit from Virginia in about 1912 and established a sawmill, served in an official capacity for the town of Detroit and platted one of its subdivisions, Florida City Heights.
The Tatum Brothers
The Women’s Industrial Club of Detroit
The Homestead Women’s Club gets all the press in the existing histories of this area but it was not the first womans club – the Longview Neighborhood Club, established in 1911, was. The Woman’s Industrial Club was established shortly after the Longview club and some of its members were residents of Homestead.