The census data presented here represents several years of work. The first step was to copy and paste the transcriptions created by Ancestry employees. Once that was done, it took thousands of hours to correct the misspellings made by the enumerators and transcribers and to add a lot of data that Ancestry chose not to transcribe. That primarily included occupations and industry but sometimes included other data that was not transcribed for some reason. The 1940 census was particularly challenging, as it took some sleuthing to figure out the place and county names where individuals lived in 1935. I also deleted some information that Ancestry included because it was not germane to my research. These spreadsheets were created to facilitate my historical research and they are not intended to be used for any other purpose. I am sharing this information in the hopes that by doing so, it will generate collaborative and innovative research projects into the complex history of South Dade that have been impossible to pursue before due to the lack of data to work with.
For every workbook of Federal census data, I have created separate spreadsheets for each precinct and an index in Column A with the names of everyone who appears in the workbook. If you are looking for a particular individual in the 1930 census, say, go to the Index column and enter the surname of that person to see if s/he appears. If it does, you can then go to the correct spreadsheet for more detail.
I am familiar with a large percentage of the Caucasian surnames in South Dade, so I corrected the spellings of many surnames. However, I am not familiar with African-American surnames so I could only correct the few names I knew. I would welcome an African-American researcher who is familiar with the surnames in the African-American community in South Dade. No doubt, there are many thousands of spelling errors which need to be corrected. It would be wonderful if a knowledgeable person would step forward and volunteer to make the necessary spelling corrections. Because of these spelling errors, a name which appears in my workbook will not necessarily appear in the census data at Ancestry or at Family Search. If this happens to you, pick another name close by that would be almost impossible for an enumerator or transcriber to misspell and conduct a search using that name so that you will land on the correct page at Ancestry or Family Search. Then, scroll up or down to find the name you are looking for. In many cases, because the name was so butchered between the enumerator and the Ancestry transcriber, you will find your surname here on my spreadsheets, using the correct spelling, and not at Ancestry without using multiple guesses about how the surname is spelled in the database for that site. Infrequently, when thoroughly puzzled, I used the data available on Family Search as another source in my attempts to verify the Ancestry information. For any given surname, it is possible that the transcription on Ancestry is not the same as it is on Family Search. I made no comparisons of surname spellings between the two sites.
These workbooks are a work in progress and are subject to future revisions. I have devoted thousands of hours of work to compile this information and I retain the copyright to my work. If you are going to use this information in a research project, please cite your source. If you intend to sell this data and I find out about it, expect a letter from my lawyer.